Thursday, December 16, 2010

In the beginning...

...There was Morrissey and Johnny Marr.


Along with Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce, they created music that I've carried with me for twenty years. This song is my favourite. The swirling, howling guitars; the angsty, Romantic with a capital R vocals; the driving, angry bass - all held together by Joyce's taut drumming and enhanced by the echo chamber whistling. It was my anthem as a geeky, gawky bookish teen: "Please shut your mouth, how can you say I go about things the wrong way?". I still love it today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3pVP9YJwXg&feature=related

2 comments:

  1. "How Soon is Now?" is fabulously classic Smiths. Brilliant band, music, and lyrics. Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know if you were there but i saw the the @ festival hall in melbourne in very early 90's; so many smiths t-shirts in crowd coz johnny marr was his guitarist. twas very cool. i miss being young in melbourne...oranje7 (see u i twitter-verse soon)

    ReplyDelete